Running a progeny test at one location – a “central progeny test” – facilitates comparisons of rams that would not normally be made in industry. It is also an opportunity to use provide a practical resource for genetic research development.
The linkages created by the B+LNZ Genetics Sheep Progeny Test underpin NZGE – the weekly large-scale across-flock and across-breed evaluation.
Sheep Progeny Test sites
There are two types of sites:
1) Hub sites focus on flock connectedness that underpins across-industry genetic evaluation.
Hub flocks also provide connectedness between Next Generation flocks, a resource for genetics research as well as add-on innovative projects.
2) Next Generation sites build stronger connections with ram breeding flocks in the industry.
Each Next Generation site focuses on either a breed type or specialist challenge relevant to the land type and geographical location.
Breed versus ram comparison
The Sheep Progeny Test was not set up as a “breed comparison”, but rather as a “ram comparison”. It has focused on what are considered to be better genetics. Breed comparisons require testing of many sires per breed, selected at random from within each breed, and with fewer progeny per sire. The progeny test has used a small number of sires with more progeny per sire, from as many breeds as possible to improve genetic linkage within the New Zealand Sheep Industry.
Rams submissions for 2020 mating
The Hub sites and the Next Generation Low-input site are accepting rams for the 2020 season.
- Hub Site, Glenside Station (North Island) & Invermay (South Island)
- Low-input site, Orari Gorge
To submit a ram, please fill out an Expression of Interest form.
More information about submitting rams, Important dates, logistics and costs can be found here: More information
Progeny Test Results
- 13th - 2014/2015 CPT Results booklet
- 12th - 2013/2014 CPT Results booklet
- 11th - 2012/2013 CPT Results booklet
- 10th - 2011/2012 CPT Results booklet
- 9th - 2010/2011 CPT Results booklet
- 8th - 2009/2010 CPT Results booklet
- 7th - 2008/2009 CPT Results booklet
- 6th - 2007/2008 CPT Results booklet
- 5th - 2006/2007 CPT Results booklet
- 4th - 2005/2006 CPT Results booklet
- 3rd - 2004/2005 CPT Results booklet
- 2nd - 2003/2004 CPT Results booklet
- 1st - 2002/2003 CPT Results booklet