Running a progeny test at one location – a “central progeny test” – facilitates comparisons of rams that would not normally be made in industry. It is also an opportunity to use provide a practical resource for genetic research development.
The linkages created by the B+LNZ Genetics Sheep Progeny Test underpin NZGE – the weekly large-scale across-flock and across-breed evaluation.
Sheep Progeny Test sites
There are two types of sites:
1) Hub sites focus on flock connectedness that underpins across-industry genetic evaluation.
Hub flocks also provide connectedness between Next Generation flocks, a resource for genetics research as well as add-on innovative projects.
2) Next Generation sites build stronger connections with ram breeding flocks in the industry.
Each Next Generation site focuses on either a breed type or specialist challenge relevant to the land type and geographical location.
Breed versus ram comparison
The Sheep Progeny Test was not set up as a “breed comparison”, but rather as a “ram comparison”. It has focused on what are considered to be better genetics. Breed comparisons require testing of many sires per breed, selected at random from within each breed, and with fewer progeny per sire. The progeny test has used a small number of sires with more progeny per sire, from as many breeds as possible to improve genetic linkage within the New Zealand Sheep Industry.
Confirmed rams for 2021 mating
Ram being assessed at the Next Generation Low-input site for the 2021 season are listed in the link below.
To improve connectedness, you can contact a breeder on the list to check if additional straws are available, or organise a sire referencing group to share one of these rams. Best practice for achieving connectedness to one of the progeny test sites is to use the same ram, in the same year and measure the same traits.
Progeny Test Results
- 13th - 2014/2015 CPT Results booklet
- 12th - 2013/2014 CPT Results booklet
- 11th - 2012/2013 CPT Results booklet
- 10th - 2011/2012 CPT Results booklet
- 9th - 2010/2011 CPT Results booklet
- 8th - 2009/2010 CPT Results booklet
- 7th - 2008/2009 CPT Results booklet
- 6th - 2007/2008 CPT Results booklet
- 5th - 2006/2007 CPT Results booklet
- 4th - 2005/2006 CPT Results booklet
- 3rd - 2004/2005 CPT Results booklet
- 2nd - 2003/2004 CPT Results booklet
- 1st - 2002/2003 CPT Results booklet